Friday, March 9, 2018

Looking Back: Orc Skirmisher - Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures

Today I am looking back at a miniature design produced for the Dungeons & Dragons miniature game over ten years ago that I have neither shared nor was it ever actually made. The assignment was to design an Orc Skirmisher for the miniatures game. Ten plus years on, of course, we can see that the miniature was never made. Here is a look at the never produced Orc Skirmisher...

Orc Skirmisher
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper (multiple sheets)
© 2007 Wizards of the Coast LLC

This is actually my final unproduced miniature design that I did for the Dungeons & Dragons miniature game. As with the previous Orc miniatures I have recently shared this design was created at the same time I created the unfortunate Orc Raider. While I enjoyed and liked all of these Orc designs, for whatever reason I liked the Orc Raider the least. So it would be natural that it would be the one produced. Of course to have any of my designs made into miniatures is amazing, I just wish it had been better received by the gamers. Here is a look at the full turnaround of the Orc Skirmisher...

Orc Skirmisher Turnaround
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper (multiple sheets)
© 2007 Wizards of the Coast LLC

As with all on my Orcs there were a lot of revisions as I did not get the Orcish look down the first time around. If I remember correctly, this was the final Orc that I worked on when I was working on all of these Orcs. This lead to the least amount of reworking and revisions to get it to an approved state. Here is a look at the various stages that the Orc Skirmisher went through before being approved...

Orc Skirmisher variants
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper (multiple sheets)
© 2007 Wizards of the Coast LLC

While I have a ton of amazing miniatures based on my designs and I understand how amazing that is and would never take any of it for granted... I really wished that at least one of the Orcs with a bow I had designed would have been made. I have always loved archer miniatures and I was incredibly excited to be designing not one, but TWO Orc archers. Sadly, in the end, neither were made. Such is life. I have the memories of working on this exciting project and I pile of drawings to mark the time and energy put into it. ...and with that, I have shared with you all of the work I have ever produced on the D&D miniatures.

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment