Friday, June 2, 2017

Looking Back: Dreamscape Prophet - Draemblade

Today I am looking back at another Dreamblade miniature design that I have never shared before here on the blog, which surprises me a lot. I am realizing that I have not shared a lot more Dreamblade miniatures here that I thought I did. Anyway... Here is the design for the Dreamscape Prophet which was part of the third expansion set to Dreamblade, Anvilborn, released back in 2007...

Dreamscape Prophet
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper
© 2006 Wizards of the Coast LLC

The art order called for a lawgiver type character with horns carrying a tablet with writing. The figure needed to be pointing the way. The costuming and detail needed to be high and it needed to have a Moses vibe to it. I almost had it on the first pass, but there were a couple things, all in the head and face that needed to be changed. Or rather some elements needed to be pushed further to make it more cool. Here is the original, so that you can see what has changed...

Dreamscape Prophet (original)
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper
© 2006 Wizards of the Coast LLC

With an approved front view I was given the go ahead to do the rest of the turnaround. Here is the entire design for the Dreamscape Prophet miniature...

Dreamscape Prophet
9 x 12 - Pencil on paper (multiple sheets)
© 2006 Wizards of the Coast LLC

By the time I was working on Anvilborn I was really starting to 'get it' when it came to working on Dreamblade, designing miniatures, and developing my own visual language and style. Still had a lot to learn, but things were definitely coming together. I had designed quiet a few miniatures by this point and had produced many many drawings. That is a lot of time, effort, and practice... I would hope that I was seeing some improvement. I always liked this design and for me it really marked a turning point from the frantic 'OH MY GOD WHAT I AM  DOING?!?!?!' phase of working on Dreamblade to the 'let's design some really awesome miniatures' phase. It transition was beginning some on the previous expansion and had fully pivoted by the next. If you were wondering, there is something actually written in cuneiform on the tablet. It reads, if I remember correctly, "Dreamblade is the best game ever" and is followed by my initials. I know... it is a bit silly. Here is how the production miniature turned out for this one...

Dreamscape Prophet Miniature

That's all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday!  Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment