Monday, January 9, 2017

Lathnu Sailback - MtG - Aether Revolt

The entire set of Aether Revolt, the newest expansion to Magic the Gathering, was spoiled last week. This means I can now share my card coming out as part of Aether Revolt. I present you with the Lathnu Sailback...

Lathnu Sailback
Magic the Gathering - Aether Revolt
14 x 10.2- Digital
© 2017 Wizards of the Coast

Nothing like a big scary lizard monster to make me happy. This piece offered up some interesting challenges with lighting that I solved with a maquette, but that discussion will have to wait for another day. I will share more about this piece in the fullness of time when I break down the process and steps. A HUGE thanks goes out to Cynthia Sheppard for the Lathnu Sailback assignment!

While the final for this piece was digital, the original drawings associated with this piece will be available soon. Prints will be also be available soon. Finally, artist proofs will be available once the set is released and I have received them. Here is a look at the final card version of the Lathnu Sailback... 

Lathnu Sailback in handy dandy card form

As an added bonus, I will go ahead and share with you how the first version of the final Lathnu Sailback turned out. a little different in some spots and a little more snarly bad monstery. The whys and hows of this will come later, but for now here is the art...

Lathnu Sailback - Version 1
Magic the Gathering - Aether Revolt
14 x 10.2- Digital
© 2017 Wizards of the Coast

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment