Monday, February 29, 2016

Chaac - Gods and Goddesses

In 2014 I had the opportunity to visit the Yucatan and while there to visit several ancient Mayan ruins. Since that visit I have been wanting to make a piece in response to the things that I saw and experienced. Namely a piece centered around the Mayan God of rain, thunder, and lighting, Chaac. Thanks to the new art anthology, Gods and Goddesses, being put out by Michael Publishing, LLC I had the extra motivation to finally get a Chaac piece completed. Here is my take on Chaac...

Chaac
11 x 14 - Acrylic and pencil on board
Original available over on my web store
© 2016 Christopher Burdett

Chaac is fresh off the work station and still needs to be varnished and framed before it is available. If you are interested, drop me a message or email and we can talk. Here is the pencil drawing that I produced leading up to the painting...

Chaac
14 x 17 - Pencil on paper
Original available over on my web store
© 2016 Christopher Burdett

From the first moments I laid eyes on the profile of Chaac at Uxmal I knew I needed to make a piece of Chaac art. I saw Chaac at other locations, but Uxmal had the most and the best Chaac sculptures that I saw in the Yucatan. Corners of pyramids and buildings had Chaac running up them, the facades of buildings had Chaac on them, there were even bits and pieces of Chaac all over the ground (especially his distinctive nose). My take on Chaac is a mix of what I saw first hand in the Yucatan, read in books, and my personal voice. Here are but a few of the many images of Chaac I took while visiting Uxmal...

Images © 2014 Christopher Burdett

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment