Friday, November 13, 2015

Plastic Galaxy, Star Wars figures, and BEYOND!

I have on more then one occasion mentioned my appreciation of Star Wars, working on Star Wars art, and Star Wars action figures. It should be no surprise that when a documentary about the story of Star Wars toys was being funded on Kickstarter I jumped at the chance to supported it. The documentary I speak of is Plastic Galaxy: The Story of Star Wars Toys (they also have a Facebook page too). In all seriousness, I can not speak highly enough about this film. Plastic Galaxy touched me personally and gets to the heart of why these toys and action figures changed everything about toys, merchandising, and captured the imaginations of multiple generations. It can be a satisfying moment to see others articulate thoughts and feelings that you have had for a lifetime with the same conviction and passion. The director of Plastic Galaxy is Brian Stillman and I will bring him up again shortly.

Plastic Galaxy: The Story of Star Wars Toys is available as a tangible object and streaming media, check it out today!

Image from the internet of a Star Wars display from 1981.
They don't make them like this anymore. My time machine usage would focus a lot around this image.

I have shared images before of some of my collection and of the Star Wars figures I use as reference in my art. It is hard to beat highly accurate possible figures that are the perfect reference for project after project. Granted, this collection in no way began as a source of reference, but it certainly did become just that. It all worked out in the end... or at least that is what I tell myself...

Just a few of the many...

Long before Pokemon, you had to catch all of these.

Without a doubt, my Star Wars figures have greatly added in the creation of my art. Reference of all kinds can do nothing but help your work. When that reference is film accurate and possible, it is GOLD! There has only been one or two of my Star Wars assignments that has not involved at least one action figure or toy as reference. Here are just a couple of the many ways I have used my Star Wars action figures to compose my art...

"Salacious B. Crumb" reference images

"The Droid's Task" reference images

After watching Plastic Galaxy I REALLY wanted to contact Brain Stillman and share with him how much his film meant to me and how I use my own love for the toys, and the toys themselves, to create my Star Wars art. Unfortunately it never happened. I never found the right words and I kept putting it off for fears of coming off as a creeper. *Insert all stereotypes of fans and fanatics here*

Needless to say, it was a rather crazy moment this past Gen Con when I found myself standing face to face with Brian Stillman as he was checking out my work. It was even weirder when I realized that he had purchased some of my 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons work from my online store earlier in the year and had not realized it. SMALL WORLD!

I am thrilled to say that I will be part of Brain's next documentary project, a documentary on the art of Dungeons & Dragons! Hopefully not everything I say will end up on the cutting room floor. I will be sure to share ALL the details about this new film as they come available. While it is not Star Wars related, it is certainly very much near and dear to my heart! RAWR!

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment