Monday, March 16, 2015

Magic the Gathering - Dragons of Tarkir - Ancient Carp

On Friday my second piece was spoiled from the newest expansion of Magic the Gathering, Dragons of Tarkir! This piece was super fun because I was asked to design and illustrate a giant koi monster. Here is the final version of the mighty Ancient Carp...

"Ancient Carp"
Magic the Gathering: Dragons of Tarkir
12 x 8.7 - Digital
© 2015 Wizards of the Coast

I saw a lot of really positive responses to this piece the moment it was spoiled and that was really exciting. I had not expected this piece to resonate with some many. These pieces are created in such a vacuum and nearly a year will go by before anyone will ever see it, so sometimes the initial impact of the piece gets lost for me. You could say this piece made a big splash! Here is how the final card turned out in low resolution goodness...

Ancient Carp in handy dandy card form

A big thanks to Dawn Murin for the assignment and great art direction on this piece! I will have more to share about this in the coming weeks with the process and related aspects.

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment