Monday, February 23, 2015

Frenzied Ghoul - Call of Cthulhu: The Thousand Young

And so it begins! Late last week I had a new piece spoiled over on the Fantasy Flight Games website. Not just any piece, mind you, this is the first of my work to surface since I switched to working traditionally. It is a peek at things to come and the first of what I hope will be a new chapter in my career. I present to you the Frenzied Ghoul from the new Call of Cthulhu expansion, The Thousand Young...

Frenzied Ghoul
Call of Cthulhu: The Thousand Young
11 x 14 - Acrylic, pencil, and gouache on board
© 2015 Fantasy Flight Games

First, before you suggest otherwise, Ghouls in the Lovecraft universe are described as pale, mostly hairless, vaguely canine, bipeds. His universe, his rules. Second, this piece has ALL the RAWRs! Third, still trying to come to terms with just how much better they look in person compared to my digital version and what I can do about it.

I worked on this in October of last year and marked a welcome return to the Call of Cthulhu game. I have not worked on Call of Cthulhu since June of 2010... which kind of surprised me to say the least. This was a super fun piece to work on and got a lot of good input from John Tallion, who was my art director on this piece. Super happy with how it looking on the card and can not wait to see one in person. Here is how that card is going to look...

Frenzied Ghoul in handy dandy card form - RAWR!

There will be lots more about this piece when it is finally released and I share with you the process that went into it. There should be lots more news in general as more of my new traditionally painted work begins to get spoiled and released!

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment