Friday, January 16, 2015

Corrections, oversights, and clarifications for 2014 - Losing my religion

I made a big error in my year in review post on Monday that needs to be addressed. I forgot to mention a key component to my success, and the success I have had for the last 14 years. This key component being the veracious and heart help support and encouragement of my wife. Without her CONTINUOUS support and kicks in the butt I would not have made the leap from digital to traditional and I would have given up on myself long ago. I forgot to mention this and that needed to be addressed. Not including her support and faith in my abilities when I had given up on myself gives a false impression of my journey and her role in it. If you like my work and things that I make, be sure to thank my wife if you get a chance to meet her, a lot of those monsters may never have existed without her efforts to keep me true to my goals and dreams.

The only known photo of my wife because she is the master of disguise.
If you look carefully you might find here.

While I have you here I wanted to also mention another factor that I forgot to mention regarding my reasoning and motivation to start working traditionally. While we don't like to talk about such things, money played a role in my decision to switch media. As the years roll by my time becomes more and more valuable to me. There are many things that I can spend my time doing. When I am creating a piece of art for myself the act of expressing my voice through the creation process is a large part of the payout. If I am going to be creating a piece of art for someone else, I would like my time to be well compensated. A way for me to make my time better financially compensated is to create an actual painting that could be sold later.

Mind you, this was not the only reason I made the switch. I explained all of the main reasons on Monday, but the money side of it was a factor and I would not be sharing the entire scope of my journey if I didn't mention it. I may never sell all the paintings that I paint or I may not be able to sell them for the prices I intend to, but they are one of a kind hand made unique objects now and not a file on a computer. I joked for a long time that I wanted to make traditional paintings so that I could trade work with friends and peers whose work I admire. There is a lot of truth in that joke. The response I had last year at the Illuxcon Showcase showed that there was interest in my work from my peers and collectors. ...which is flattering and humbling AND very encouraging.

I think you now have the whole story of my ups and downs in 2014. The key part being my wife. Again, if you have any thoughts, comments, or questions about all this be sure to leave them below in the comment section. RAWR!

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here next week! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment