Friday, May 23, 2014

Aftermath - Natsumi - Process

Back in December I shared with you my contribution to the Legend of the Five Rings expansion, Aftermath. One of the cards that I had in that set was the mighty water elemental dragon thing... Natsumi. Today I have for you the process that went into making this piece. So that we are all on the same page here is how the final Natsumi turned out...

Natsumi
© 2013 Alderac Entertainment Group

As I mentioned with the process post for Hida Kaiji this piece and Kaiji just didn't turn out as I had intended. While this piece did hit the mark more so then Kaiji, it just was not the piece I had originally wanted. This was by my doing and by my hand and should in no way reflex upon the client or art director.

Natsumi needed to be a water elemental of a dragon, flowing in and out of the water... becoming water and becoming solid again. I worked up a thumbnail that I hope captured that look and feel...

Natsumi - Thumbnail
© 2013 Alderac Entertainment Group

The thumbnail hit the mark and I was given the go ahead to move on the final drawing. I got my water elemental dragon drawing on and this is what came of my efforts...

Natsumi - Drawing
© 2013 Alderac Entertainment Group

As mentioned, I had wanted this to be in acrylic... but it just was not meant to be. Here is how the digital version came about. In just 12 easy steps a dragon painting can come together...

Natsumi - Process steps
© 2013 Alderac Entertainment Group

Since this piece turned out better then Kaiji (to my eyes) I don't feel as "bad" about it. Maybe it is because it is a dragon... or a monster focused piece, but this one is less painful to revisit. Here is an animated gif to better show how this piece came together and took shape...

Natsumi - Process progression animation
© 2013 Alderac Entertainment Group

As I have said many times, live and learn and walk away. Again, here is how the final Natsumi turned out as well as the final production card...

Natsumi
© 2013 Alderac Entertainment Group
 
Natsumi in handy dandy card form

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment