Monday, March 31, 2014

Taking a break: Hideous Demon - Angel Season 4

The blog break continues as I am still overwhelmed elsewhere. In my absence, here is some stuff I have never shared from my days in the Makeup FX industry! Today I have for you the Hideous Demon from season 4 of Angel...

The Hideous Demon was just another example of when production didn't care and let us do our job we all created something much better and more interesting then if they had gotten involved. Our design lead had this idea for awhile and when the Hideous Demon came along he pushed to get his idea made. Since this was a "background" demon production was not as concerned and we moved forward without any feedback or changes to the original concept.

To be clear, I did not design this one or establish the paint scheme which appears on the stunt body with the removable head. My contribution was to paint the others makeups and went to set and babysat the stunt body... as well as other miscellaneous shop tasks and jobs that I had on any production (but those are sometimes not very interesting to share here). The sculpting, molding, casting, and other related work that goes into these creations was handled by a highly skilled team that I was fortunate enough to be a part of.

Enough talk, here are the Hideous Demons...

RAWR! Hideous... and a demon... RAWR!
Feel like I should have some great, funny, or insightful store about this guys, but I don't
The got made, went to set, and they were filmed...
Not a lot of drama on this particular monster.

The truly hideous aspect is that he has one contact in and one contact out... RAWR!

It is so creepy... no matter where you move it feels like it is still looking at you.

Oh look... there is another one... great...

Man, this one really irks me...
I wish someone would just hit this guy in the head with a machete.

Oh noes... my massive evil twin from 12 years ago is on the scene.
At least he is not blonde anymore.
Nice Jabba the Hutt impression.

Huh... well... this is awkward...

RAWR! It is the decapitation stunt body version of the Hideous demon.
I got to hang out with this thing all day when I was not inserting machetes into heads.
If I remember correctly, I was on set nice and early so I could dress this thing too.

Hey, remember a random post from 2010 about that glove I found?
Looks like it was from one of the Hideous Demons after all. Maybe.

Only one half of the chin spine thing was sculpted. Once molded we simply cast two up and glue them together to make one chin spine thing. AND that is how the professionals do it!

Had to show production how it was shaping up at some point during production so we pinned stuff to the face sculpt to show them how it would look.

The chin spine is actually a foam cast, it was already done and one was made and painted green to match the clay for photo purposes. The face dangly bits and the cowl (head and neck piece) were all from preexisting creations that were modified.

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment