Friday, March 7, 2014

Florida Museum of Natural History

Recently I found myself in Gainesville, Florida. While there I spent some time at the Florida Museum of Natural History. The museum has a really nice collection of extinct mega fauna that was once found in Florida as well as a small collection of Charles R. Knight paintings. The museum has a lot of other exhibits to offer including an amazing butterfly enclosure and research area, an in depth look at the first people of Florida, and even exhibits featuring Florida's nature environment in which they are recreated many times larger their original size...  but I was there for the fossils.

I found the whole exhibit to be a treasure trove of reference. They had specimens of mastodon, mammoth, tapir, camel, horse, giant sloth, terror bird, bear, bear dog, rhino, saber-toothed cat, and MANY others. Here are some of the images that I took at the museum...

 All images © 2013 Christopher Burdett
The work of Charles R. Knight are of course his own and not mine.

If you find yourself in central Florida for any reason and some time to kill I highly recommend paying a visit to the Florida Museum of Natural History and taking in all they have to offer!

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

1 comment: