Friday, November 1, 2013

Jasmine (Devourer) - Angel: Season 4

10 year ago (very strange typing that) when I was working on Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer I got to design the true form of the Devourer, or rather Jasmine, for Season 4 of Angel. At the time the character/monster was simply called "The Woman". Jasmine was played by the very talented and Joss Whedon favorite, Gina Torres. The idea was simple, MAGGOT ROT FACE... and I tried to do my best to make that happen. Here is how the final monster version of Jasmine looked on set as the puppet head I got to puppeteer on the show...

Devourer/Jasmine on set during filming Angel season 4
© 2003 - Somebody, but at this point I have no idea who...

The design was built off of photos we took when Gina Torres came for her life cast of her head. The design was very photoshopy but for what it was and the time I did it I do not find it now too cringe worthy. I did create a maggot brush while working on it to make the maggot layer a little easier. Here is how the final turned out...

Devourer/Jasmine final design
© 2003 Almost Human

There was another "less maggot" version of the design too. I am not sure anyone outside of production has ever here this second design...

Devourer/Jasmine "less maggot" design
© 2003 Almost Human

As an added bonus I have for you some shop photos of the head in progress. I was not responsible for  the sculpting and the majority of the painting on this particular piece.  I handled the design end and the care, maintenance, and puppeteering on set at the very end. Here is what the puppet head looked like before heading to set...

Devourer/Jasmine clay sculpture
© 2003 Almost Human

Devourer/Jasmine clay sculpture
© 2003 Almost Human

Devourer/Jasmine cast silicone puppet mid paint process
© 2003 Almost Human

Devourer/Jasmine cast silicone puppet mid paint process
© 2003 Almost Human
 
Devourer/Jasmine cast silicone puppet mid paint process now with hair work in place
© 2003 Almost Human

We used real maggots on set to add to the look and feel of the puppet head. For filming I was under the head in front of a green screen trying to mimic what Gina Torres previously filmed so they could comp the puppet features into the scene. Here are some more images from on set while filming and an idiot...

Devourer/Jasmine on set during filming Angel season 4
© 2003 - Somebody, but at this point I have no idea who...

Hey there 10 years ago me... you need to draw more. You have 10 years of hard work ahead of you so you been stop goofing around with a maggoty puppet and get to work...

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment