Friday, October 11, 2013

Edge of the Empire - Barabel Enforcer - Process

Last month I shared with you my contribution to the Edge of the Empire core book. Today I have for you the process that went into one of those pieces... the wily Barabel Enforcers. This piece is a little old by current standards, I worked on this during May of 2012. That is so long ago I was using my now out dated method of building up my paintings. Just so we are all the same page, here is how the the final Barabel Enforcer turned out...

Barabel Enforcer
© 2013 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

The broken record that I am (and a repository for outdated metaphors!), I started off everything with some good ole thumbnails. Before the thumbnails I did take a lot of reference photos of a handy Barabel Enforcer analog that I had laying around (more on that below). I worked up three thumbnails that I thought were interesting and would be fun to work on. Remember, never turn in anything you would not want to have to take to completion... if you really don't like one of your thumbnails they will be sure to pick that one and you will have to take it all the way to a finished piece. If I remember correctly, at the time I was really more excited about option 'A' and 'C'... so in the end... 'B' was picked and I was given the green light to move forward

Barabel Enforcer - Thumbnails
© 2013 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

Did I say something about reference?! I sure did! Some project do not require a lot of reference and other projects require a huge amount... and sometimes there are projects that are best resolved by dressing up like an idiot and running around with a knife and a good blaster at your side. Here is the main reference for this character...

Barabel Enforcer reference... or some idiot running around in the yard with a knife.

Now that I have reference and an approved thumbnail it was time to get started on the final drawing. This has suddenly gotten me thinking about all the Star Wars drawings I did back in the early 1980's... I wonder if any of them are tucked away somewhere. I will need to look into that... Anyway, here is how the final drawing for the Barabel Enforcer turned out, it was approved without revisions...

Barabel Enforcer - Drawing
© 2013 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

With all my steps completed and approvals received it is now time to paint. As mentioned above, since this piece is from May 2012 it is actually put together in an outdated fashion. It does not include the value and chroma buildup that you have seen in all my process post from work completed after June 2012. It is still fun to see the piece come together all the same, here is the Barabel Enforcer coming taking shape in six easy steps...

Barabel Enforcer - Process
© 2013 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

There was one small revision to the brow and eyes after the final was turned in, but that was corrected in minutes. After that the piece was approved and turned in... and a year and a half later it is on the blog. Here is how the final turned out again for your viewing pleasure (RAWR!)...

Barabel Enforcer
© 2013 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday... kind of. Until then...

 For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment