Friday, July 19, 2013

Toned Frog Turtle

The toned monsters have begun to appear in greater numbers. Kind of... You might remember the wily Airport Frog Turtle that I worked on while traveling to the Illustration Master Class. The Frog Turtle was the first of my monsters that I tried out taking to a more finished state on toned paper and here is how it turned out...

Frog Turtle
9 x 12 - Pencil on toned paper
Original - SOLD
© 2013 Christopher Burdett

When I compare the original and the toned version it is funny how much more finished the toned version feels to me. The original was a totally finished drawing for me at the time, not anything I would do differently or add/subtract. It is a finished drawing. Now I do the toned version... and my feelings change a bit. Not in a bad way, I am just getting a better feeling for my drawings and what I can do with them.

When I decided I was going to start up these toned drawings the Frog Turtle (or Frotle... or Turg?) was the first and clear choice. I really liked how it turned out and it just seemed 'right' for the first test run. I think I chose correctly! RAWR!

For those attending Gen Con you will have a chance to see the Frog Turtle in person and even buy him and take him home with you! Give the Frog Turtle a good home!

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments: