Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Deep One - Process

Last week I brought you my third traditional painting, the Deep One.  Today I have for you the process progression of the painting coming together. Point and laugh or look and learn, either is appropriate and I will not judge.

With all my paintings, it all started with a drawing. I am constantly reminded, the more I put into the drawing and the better the drawing is, the better the painting will be. Work out all your problems and figure out everything before you begin to paint. Seriously. Whenever I have issues with a painting it is because I did not do enough to make sure the drawing was correct. Bad perspective in a drawing will mean you have bad perspective in the painting. Bad anatomy in your drawing will mean you will have bad anatomy in your painting. Digital media will allow you the freedom to fix any number of issues with a great about of ease and speed, if you are working traditionally you do not have that flexibility. Thankfully with this piece I was starting off with a really solid drawing that I poured over and spent a lot of time on...

© 2010 Christopher Burdett

For the painting I am working in acrylics on a 9 x 12 board. I tried to take a photo once every hour or there about. I was not always exact, but close enough. As mentioned previously I am still coming to terms with and learning to deal with the feeling that the painting is spiraling out of control and then desperately trying to regain control of it. This accounts for what appears to be slow process early on and then a lot of progress later in the process. Once I feel like I am in control I seem to speed up and things move along with out trouble. Once I get pass those early feelings of being out of control the process of paintings for me feels very similar to when I am painting digitally. The tactile process might be a little different, but the actions and process are very similar. Gives me hope for the future. Here is the Deep One coming together...

Deep One steps 1 - 4

Deep One steps 5 - 8

Deep One steps 9 -12

In 12 easy step... actually, it is not very easy for me yet and it is very much a learning experience. But I would like to think I am able to build off of everything that I have learned working digitally these past 4-5 years. Here is the final Deep One one last time to see how it turned out...

Deep One
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment