Friday, August 24, 2012

Fresh from the drawing table... Bulette!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Bulette (buːˈleɪ/boo-LAY)! The wily BOOLAY... or Bulette... it was hard to pass this one up that long. I have always been fan of the Bulette and its silly and weird origins even if I was not pronouncing it correctly for years. It is not a bullet... Big crazy monsters made by mad wizards are always fun and in my universe the monster is crazier because the wizard was more mad! I present to you my version of a Bulette...   
Bulette
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

It may have been originally a Ultraman monster that was packaged with dinosaurs and imported to the states in the early 1970's but it has become so much more then that. To me the Bulette is darn near perfect the way it already is, but I tasked myself with the challenge to redesign all the monsters in the original Monster Manual, and that means working over even the Bulette. Since the origins of this monsters is at the hands of a mad wizard I figured I could push it even more into a completely crazy beast. If I was a mad wizard I would be sure to make my monsters as crazy as I can. Besides, I have been really wanting to draw something with a sideways mouth and the Bulette was the obvious choice! RAWR!

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.       

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here next week for NEW WORK and NEW DRAGONS! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

6 comments:

  1. Um...IF you were a mad wizard creating crazy monsters? What's this IF nonsense?

    Great concept with the sideways mouth.

    I too always called it a bullet, it looks like a bullet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For legal reasons I have to maintain the article 'if'... keeps anyone tracing my... less then successful experiments back to me...

      Delete
  2. Now you need to do the catalopas. :-) Not to be confused with the cattywampus. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The catalopas was high on the list on my third pass... but didn't make the cut. Hope to get to it on the fourth time through the MM.

      Delete
  3. GREAT redesign!

    -Side ways mouth a big plus, and it is totally believeable in your drawing!
    -Also it is friggin' great to see the way your work is informed by real creatures.

    ReplyDelete