Monday, July 2, 2012

Far Realm Fiends - Process

Today I have for you another look at my process that went into creating a recent D&D piece. This time around we are looking at the Doom Hulk and Geometric Impossibility for the Far Realm Fiends article in Dungeon magazine #201.

I figured I better go ahead and share my remaining process posts before August rolls around when I will be able to share my updated process for working up the under painting. If you are familiar at all with my blog and my process posts this should all be pretty straight forward. You can always find more detailed explanation of my process on the blog HERE, HERE, and HERE. As always when working on an illustration with a new creature I have to design I will do several roughs of the creature and several thumbnails of my composition for the illustration...


  Doom Hulk - Roughs
© 2012 Wizards of the Coast

Doom Hulk and Geometric Impossibility - Thumbnails
© 2012 Wizards of the Coast

I was really leaning towards "A" on all accounts and when the feedback came back to me everyone at WoTC was in agreement with me. This is always a huge relief that I am on the same wavelength as my art director and the designers. They don't always go with the ones I hope they well, but all of the roughs and thumbnails are fine with me. NEVER submit anything you do not want to draw and paint, art karma will bite you and the one you didn't want picked will of course be the one picked.

Now that the rough and thumbnail are approved it is time to move forward on the final drawing and get everything fleshed out... 

 Doom Hulk and Geometric Impossibility - Drawing
© 2012 Wizards of the Coast

The Doom Hulk was described as a massive nightmare brute. It takes on the form of your worse nightmare and proceeds to smash you to death. In its normal form it is said to be a massive humanoid form constructed of black ropey cords.Whatever it is, it is big, brutish, and wants to hit you in the face... a lot. I have a soft spot for this type of monster... as I have mentioned countless times before. The Geometric Impossibility was described as a hallway where the laws of physics have broken down and perspective and normal spacial understanding is gone. That kind of stuff is always fun, you can never be wrong! Now that the drawing was all done and approved it was time to get to painting...

Doom Hulk and Geometric Impossibility - Process
© 2012 Wizards of the Coast

And in six easy steps you have a finished painting... or not... This one came together really fast. I knew what I wanted to do with it when I was working on the thumbnails so a lot of the decisions were taken care of early on. This piece was also about proving something to myself. At some later date I might share more details, but I flubbed on some important work earlier in my career and one of the pieces was similar to this one. It meant a lot to be able to jump into this piece and take care of it without any stress or problems. Always trying to make things right that once went wrong... I am quantum leaping through my own art career... or not...

Here is the final piece in all its glory and your players now have a new terror to look out for at higher levels...

Doom Hulk and Geometric Impossibility
© 2012 Wizards of the Coast

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment