Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Life drawing - my old friend

This Monday evening I found myself at a local weekly life drawing session. I had heard of it a couple times before but just never was able to find the time or remembered to actually go when the time was available. We the repeated urgings of local fellow artist Nicholas Rich I finally found myself going.I always enjoyed life drawing, I understand the importance an the need for an artist to draw from life and to hone all the skills related to doing so, not to mention better familiarity with the human form and how light moves across complex forms.... but this time was way different for me.

Half way through the session I realized I had this huge smile on my face and was having way too much fun for my own good. I posted on Facebook that night, "Tonight I am realizing I need more life drawing in my life like a drowning man needs air." I stand by this statement wholeheartedly. I use to hate warm up and short poses, I just wanted long poses that I could labor over and perfect. Monday night I found myself really enjoying the 3 minute poses and I got a lot out of them, which was a first in all my years of drawing. The session started with a group of 3 minute poses, followed by two 10 minute poses and concluded with two 30 minute poses. Here are some of the highlights... 




So what changed since I last drew from life... which was most likely 5 years ago or so? Obviously, it was something in me... and I am happy for it. I really love to draw and this was such an exciting experience to once again be engaging. I just hope I am not creeping anyone out with my huge smile while I draw! I used my usual black color pencil on marker paper that I do all my drawing with and though I brought larger paper, I stuck with my usual 9x12. I will be going back whenever possible. I guess they don't all have to be monsters...

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment