Monday, December 5, 2011

Heart of the Scar - Dungeon Issue #197

Dungeon magazine issue #197 is out and I am on the cover! This is my first cover and I can not be happier that it is for Dungeons and Dragons. The piece depicts the harrowing finale of the Chaos Scar adventure, Heart of the Scar. I was tasked with designing and illustrating a horror from beyond time and space, a terrifying mass of tentacles and eyes, and if there is one thing I feel confident about, it is tentacles! On with the monster...

Heart of the Scar - Shoth-Goragg
© 2011 Wizards of the Coast

I was working on this piece at the same time I was working on the Oasis Beast. Back to back design and illustration of new D&D monsters, I was not complaining! This is one of those surreal moments when reading the art order that I realize that all my hard work to convey to my clients the type of work I want to make has paid off. You need a tentacled horror from beyond time and space surrounded by a hole in the very fabric of reality? Yeah, I got you covered! There is always a certain amount of worry and/or stress that goes into any of my paintings as I plan it out and take it from the under painting to the finished piece making sure I don't miss anything. With this painting there was none of that stress and worry and that was pretty special. This is how the piece looks on the cover...

Dungeon Issue #197

In the near future I will bring you some of the process work that went into making this piece. Again, a huge thanks to Kate Irwin for getting me involved with this assignment! It was right up my alley and I had a ton of fun!

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments:

  1. Love the design Chris! Now I want to see Hellboy punching it senseless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vinod! :) Yeah, it needs to go one on one with HB for sure :D

    ReplyDelete