Monday, July 18, 2011

My life as a crappy artist - Beljoxa's Eye

You of course remember Beljoxa's Eye from episode 11, Showtime, from season 7 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, right? Any good Buffy fan would, right? I barely recall the dang thing and I contributed a design for it. So that everyone is on the same page, this is Beljoxa's Eye...

Lots of eyes? CHECK! Tentacles? CHECK! We could actually have a good monster this time.

I was able to find some more time to take a fresh pass at another monster that I helped design while working on Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire series. This time around Beljoxa's Eye was the lucky winner. Here is my original design for Beljoxa's Eye from 2002...

I was working on other assignments at the time and when I finally got my design together for Beljoxa's Eye the production of the final creature had already begun. OOPS!
© 2002 Almost Human

Beljoxa's Eye was suppose to be this massive floating oracle that had knowledge beyond time and space... or something like that. I think it ended up being incoherent and undecipherable and ultimately comic relief. My art director at the time came up with some very cool ideas but production really wanted the ball of eyes on a stick look. If my memory serves me, the cage was one of the ideas my AD had that survived. As I mentioned above, I arrived a little late to this design party, but I did finish my lackluster attempt at a mass of eyes and some dangling bits. The final Beljoxa's Eye was more then sufficient for the show and I do not thing anything I had to offer would have improved it. All that aside, here is something... newer, as far as the design of Beljoxa's Eye...

Taking Beljoxa's Eye back!
© 2011 Christopher Burdett

Not much to add beyond the drawing... a ball of eyes and some tentacles, I can do that all day. Maybe I should have pushed myself more but I was just having too much fun drawing a big mass of eyes and some tentacles. Not sure it is really that much better of a design but I at least feel it is a better drawing. I imagine it sitting in the cage with it's tentacles hanging down and wrapping around the cage. Maybe some slime dripping slowly off it. On to the next art albatross that I carry around my neck...

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog! See you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment