Friday, May 27, 2011

My life as a crappy artist - Sympathetic Demon

You of course remember the Sympathetic Demon from episode 19, The Magic Bullet, from season 4 of Angel, right? Any good Angel fan would, right? I barely recall this demon and I designed it. So that everyone is on the same page, this is the Sympathetic Demon...

Well, at least the unused makeup pieces and teeth.
Sightings of the Sympathetic Demon demon is so rare that I don't even have a picture of it.

I was able to find some more time to take a fresh pass at another demon that I designed while working on Joss Whedon's Angel series. This time around the Sympathetic Demon was the lucky winner. Here are my original designs for the Sympathetic Demon from 2003...

Not sure if it is a Sympathetic Demon, but I sure feel sorry... for myself.
Please take note, this is one of the only times I ever managed to get something usable out of Painter. I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years now and Painter has always been a bit of a conundrum.
© 2003 Almost Human

The Sympathetic Demon was suppose to be just that... Sympathetic. A poor little demon on the run the the path of destruction that the Beast was creating across Los Angeles. He is ends up crossing paths with Fred in a sewer as they are both hiding. Fred is scared, Sympathetic Demon comforts her that he is harmless, gains trust, tries to eat Fred, gets an ax in the head from Fred. Typical Angel plot and character progression. We were asked to go for something sad and pathetic, something that appeared harmless and not threatening. I think I got the pathetic part down... The sculpture, Jonathan Fuller, did a really fun pair of gloves for the monster. When the actor folded his finger back the first knuckles looked like they were the ends of the fingers with blunt nails... but when the actor opened his hands the fingers ended in sharp claws. Really neat idea, just don't know if you saw it in the show. All that aside, here is something... newer, as far as the design of the Sympathetic Demon is concerned...

Taking the Sympathetic Demon back!
© 2011 Christopher Burdett

Not much to say about this one. In an attempt to reach sympathetic I think I crossed well over into pathetic. I think that works too. I did have a lot of fun drawing it and it came together really quickly. On to the next art albatross that I carry around my neck...

That is all for another exciting week on the blog. Monday is a holiday, so I might not make it onto the blog... but then again, I just might. Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

1 comment: