Monday, May 16, 2011

A Game of Thrones: Queen of Dragons (Part 1)

I had a chance to work on A Game of Thrones last year and I am pleased to finally share the work I did on the game. I am sure you are thinking that there are no monsters in AGoT and you would be correct... but there are certainly DRAGONS! In total, I created three dragons for the Queen of Dragons expansion and I will be bringing them to you all this week. First up with have the fire breathing Drogon, who is doing what apparently it does best...

Drogon
(With real fire breathing action, other accessories sold separately)
© 2011 Fantasy Flight Games

The dragons of AGoT are of a serpentine nature, long and lean, more snake than lizard. I was told George Martin is very particular about the dragons that show up in the game so I was a little nervous going into the project. Apparently I had nothing to worry about because I hit the mark with each one on the first pass. Though I have not seen the cards in person, the images on them online look pretty good, and so far I am pretty happy with the final product...

Drogon
(now on a piece of card stock for your convenience)
© 2011 Fantasy Flight Games

This was my first opportunity to work on AGoT and to be honest, an opportunity I thought I would never have. Since it is a game of power struggles and intrigue I assumed my talents would be unnecessary for the type of product created for the game. Boy, was I wrong! I had forgotten about those pesky dragons, won't make that mistake again!

That is all for Monday, see you back here on Wednesday for more dragon fun! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

8 comments:

  1. Trully Gorgeous Work Christopher ! I hope A song of Fire and Ice Fans feel thrilled about this upcoming Dragons !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE dragons! Thanks for sharing dude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! :) Glad you are enjoying the dragon. More are coming...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive work Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your artwork is amazing, but what if I told you that Drogon's flames are actually Black and Red? It's a characteristic of the dragons in the ASOIAF universe. Their flames colors reflect their scale colors.

    Other than that, this is the best artwork of Drogon I've seen so far. Just amazing =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very much aware of the color of the fire. Since I was hired to make the work for the game based on the books they provided a very detailed description of the dragons. Black fire does not look correct or good. Fire in the real work in not black... and portraying it black is distracting to the viewer. If you notice the art used on the card does have more darker areas - though the card's chrome does cover some of it up. After turning the piece in I went back and removed a lot of the darker areas on the fire. MANY of my fellow artists and art directors have said the one they they don't like about this piece is the silly fire. Sometimes by being right you can be completely wrong.

      Delete