Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Fresh from the drawing table... Purple Worm!

I have for you today another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Purple Worm! "P" offered up several monster to choose from but it became clear rather quickly there were only two real options. Though I had my eye on the Peryton for a long while I knew when it came down to it my heart was set on something much larger and much more... uh, PURPLE. I present to you my version of an Purple Worm...

Purple Worm
© 2011 Christopher Burdett

While I was still working in Los Angles I worked on some concept designs for a fantasy epic starring Rob Schneider. Needless to say the project has yet to go anywhere after many years and I am still haunted by the giant wormy snake dragon monsters I designed for it. I exercised some of those ghost in the Crypt Worm I designed for Dreamblade. I think I may have gotten some more out with this Purple Worm. The biggest two problems with a worm monster is that a worm in and of themselves are not very threatening and there are the brilliant Dune sand worms that you are trying to avoid coping. I feel my take on this has become more of a Purple Wyrm, given his little slashing arms and more interesting mouth, tongue, head area. Since I am doing these for myself I can get away with those kind of changes. It is still a giant horror from deep beneath the earth that can devour a player whole!

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.    
   
That is all for today, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

4 comments:

  1. Sexy! Love the mouthparts! Also, love the new banner you've got up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :) Glad to hear you are digging the beastie and the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob "Deuce Bigalow" Schneider in an epic fantasy? Ummmm ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was highly unlikely of ever happening 8 years ago, I would imagine it is completely impossible now. No need to worry about what it could have meant for humanity...

      Delete