Monday, October 4, 2010

ArtOrder Challenge - Lovecraft Creature Lab

Over on ArtOrder the Lovecraft Creature Lab Challenge is wrapping up this week. Not to miss out on a chance to draw some Lovecraftian monsters I managed to get some time together and work on a drawing. Turns out peoples definitions of what constitutes a humanoid monster differs greatly from mine own. So to not ruffle any feathers I am not submitting this design for the challenge. There is no reason not to share it here though! I present to you, a DEEP ONE.

A Deep One, they were the blasphemous fish-frogs of the nameless design - living and horrible.
© 2010 Christopher Burdett
I think their predominant color was a greyish-green, though they had white bellies. They were mostly shiny and slippery, but the ridges of their backs were scaly. Their forms vaguely suggested the anthropoid, while their heads were the heads of fish, with prodigious bulging eyes that never closed. At the sides of their necks were palpitating gills, and their long paws were webbed. They hopped irregularly, sometimes on two legs and sometimes on four. I was somehow glad that they had no more than four limbs. Their croaking, baying voices, clearly used for articulate speech, held all the dark shades of expression which their staring faces lacked ... They were the blasphemous fish-frogs of the nameless design - living and horrible.

The Shadow Over Innsmouth
Fear naught, I found a little more time and did complete an official submission for the challenge. I will be sharing it with you here later in the week. This guy was really fun to work on and I found him to be very useful to me in the end... but I will have more on that in the future...

Be back here on Wednesday when I unveil my TeeFury shirt deign that will be on sale on Oct 13th! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment